A densely populated country on the mainlands of the Americas, El Salvador is also one of the most popular tourist destinations in Central America. Though the bad press has made it a greatly underrated country, El Salvador is a land that is yet to be fully unravelled to adventure travellers and tourists. The El Salvador visa requirements are also quite simple, so you wouldn’t need to worry about that at all.
If you’re planning to visit El Salvador, you would just be astonished to know how much this tiny country has to offer — world-class surfing beaches, the breathtaking ‘Lake and Volcano Complex’, the rainforests with beautiful waterfalls, and spellbinding routes along coffee plantations. The culture and ethnicity of the place are also worth mentioning here — you can fill your heart, stomach, and soul with the weekend food festivals that are commonly held in cities like Juayúa and gaze at the murals for hours in Ataco! Added to this, the capital of El Salvador, San Salvador, has the volcanic mountains in the backdrop, adding to the feeling that you’ve reached some fantasy land, where everything you see is beautifully alien. Coming to the point about El Salvador visa requirements, let’s go through this article on everything you need to know/do before packing your backpacks and boarding your flights to El Salvador.
What are the common El Salvador visa requirements?
If you’re an Indian citizen, you’ll not require a visa to travel to El Salvador for tourist purposes up to 90 days. However, if you want to travel for more than 90 days, you’ll require a long-term visa for El Salvador, such as a work visa or student visa. For this, you can get yourself ready with the following set of El Salvador visa requirements:
- Visa application form: It sounds obvious that you need to have a visa application form in order for the El Salvador Embassy to start processing your visa request for a long-term stay. However, some tend to forget this important step. So, download the application form from the Embassy website and fill it with utmost sincerity and honesty. It doesn’t matter if you choose to fill it online/digitally or using your blue/black pen. However, we recommend filling it digitally. Also, don’t forget to sign in the required fields.
- An original passport: During your trip, one of the most important El Salvador visa requirement is your original passport. The same applies in this case too. Your passport should be ready with you before the application and ensure that the validity of the passport extends beyond 6 months after your return back home. You’ll also need to make sure that there is at least two blank pages to mark your entry and exit from the country.
- Photographs: You need to keep at least 2 passport-sized photographs of yourself while arriving in El Salvador. It should adhere to all the international passport-sized photo specifications. The important among these are:
- The photo should be in colour.
- Keep the dimensions as 35mm x 45mm
- Take the photo against a light, well-lit background
- Your face needs to be covering at least 70-80% of the photograph.
- Proof of means of subsistence: The El Salvador immigrations department, just like any other country’s immigration department, is very adamant about ensuring that the visitors have enough funds to travel around and return to their home country, without requiring any additional financial assistance. In order to prove this, you can provide your bank statement for the past 6 months and the Income Tax Returns Certificate for the previous two years.
- Proof of accommodation: Proof of accommodation is a very important El Salvador visa requirement. It assures the embassy that you’ve planned out the details about your stay in El Salvador. The commonly accepted proofs of accommodation are the hotel reservation receipts or any paid accommodation receipt. In case you choose to stay at the residence of your friend or relative in El Salvador, you can also submit the invitation letter from them, along with their contact details.
- Flight reservation for visa: The flight reservation (or a flight itinerary) is the most important document that proves that you have plans on returning to your home country. However, it could be quite risky to book the tickets in advance. This is why, we recommend you to submit the detailed flight itinerary from a trusted visa agency, such as Flight Itinerary For Visa, instead of the booking tickets by paying the full amount. Just ensure that the flight numbers and estimated date of return are clearly mentioned in the flight itinerary.
El Salvador visa requirements: What else should you know?
Even though you do not require a visa to travel to El Salvador, there is a high probability that you may be questioned while marking the entry. If you have a visa stamped on your passport to Canada, US, UK, or any of the Schengen states, you can easily get in without these interrogations. In the other cases, you’ll need to furnish certain El Salvador visa requirements and documents, such as your valid passport, return flight tickets, proof of financial means, proof of lodging arrangement, and yellow fever vaccination to ensure that you’ll be allowed entry into the country without any hassle.
Also, it is good to know that El Salvador is part of the Central American Border Control Agreement (CA-4), which allows travellers to travel and reside in any of the four signatories—Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, and Honduras. While this leniency is for stay periods till 90 days, the visitors who want to extend their stay need to fulfil all the El Salvador visa requirements. Failing to adhere to these regulations can result in being fined and expelled from all the four countries.
Now that you’re pretty clear about the El Salvador visa requirements, or rather put across as just travel requirements, for your trip to this beautiful country, you can gather all you need from this checklist and start your journey! Since you’re visiting the Central America’s, you’ll probably not just be solely visiting El Salvador, but also the nearby countries such as Honduras (Honduras visa requirements), Guatemala (Guatemala visa requirements), or Mexico, we can help you with your visa applications and related formalities to these countries too! Our personalized services include assistance in obtaining a dummy flight ticket, hotel reservation for visa or anything else related to the visa application process. All you need to do is, simply contact us using this link and let us know your requirements!